Fellow co-hobbyists, I greet you and I hope you are all well and with a great mood and artistry for whatever you model. I was fortunate enough to meet some of you during the latest IPMS show in Athens and many more of you via internet, a fast growing team for which I am very delighted. A big thanks to our magazine for the opportunity it gives us to present some of our works

About the diorama
For the base I used a piece of particle board onto which I glued cardboard pieces to represent the tarmac plates. Photos from Google earth helped me to get the right – approximately – dimensions. The shelter was made with a large number of cardboard back covers of school aquarelle that is hard and with a lot of grooves, (three cardboard pieces to be exact). The representation of the ground was done the classic way, with paper towels soaked in diluted wood glue and with the use of materials for maquettes, such as sponges for vegetation, natural dirt etc. I also used trees for maquettes, intervening slightly on them, mainly in the color of the trunks. To represent the ear I used brush bristles. The shelter doors were made with plastic sheets and flame-stretched sprue as well as with various other pieces from the spare box. The wiring above the shelter
is also flame-stretched sprue.
For painting the entire diorama I used mainly Humbrol enamels and oil colors for weathering and the rest of dirt. For vehicles and some of the figures I used the old Hasegawa set “US Aerospace Ground Equipment Set”, while all other figures are “ITALERI NATO Pilots and Ground Crews” both in the 1/72nd scale. Again everything was painted with Humbrol enamels and oil colors. The barrels and other kegs, cones and separators are from the Verliden Productions set “Airbase Flight line Accessories” in the 1/72nd scale.

MIRAGE 2000C HELLER
Regarding the kits used for the Mirage 2000, I worked on the MIRAGE 2000C HELLER kit, however using many parts from the ITALERI kit, such as the landing gear, the cockpit, the canopy, which comes in two pieces, rather than the one piece from HELLER, the engine nozzle its interior, the
load pylons and missiles.
For painting I once again used Humbrol enamels and oil colors for wear in color and various leaks. The boarding ladder is scratch-build, based on the ladder that comes with the Hasegawa ground staff kit. I chose to rely on the
HELLER kit over the one from ITALERI because I think it is dimensions and shape is more accurate. Although as a detail the ITALERI kit has engraved panel lines, in my opinion they are at the wrong places.

The colors used for the camouflage are the following: Light Gray: Humbrol 127, Blue: Humbrol 127 + 144 at a 1:3 ratio, The cone: Humbrol 128

F-4F PHANTOM II REVELL
Finally for the F-4E PHANTOM II, I used the REVELL F-4F PHANTOM II kit. An excellent model with great detail and great fit. It represents an aircraft wearing the AEGEAN GHOST paint scheme from the USAF stock, which used to have the HILL GRAY paint scheme, received by the Hellenic Air Force at the end of the 90s. It was also painted with Humbrol enamels and oil colors to represent the wear in color and various leaks.
The boarding ladder is made of flame-stretched sprue, the FOD from plastic sheets and flame-stretched sprue and the tow bar from plastic sheet. The wheels are from the spare box and part of an old sprue. For both aircraft I
used decals by ICARUS.

The colors used for the camouflage are the following: Light Blue: Humbrol 145, Beige: Humbrol 129 + 121 at a 5:1 ratio, Gray: Humbrol 140

With regard to the wear effect, personally I use three different oil colors. Raw umber, titanium white and lamp black, all by Van Gogh. I use the first for highlighting all engraved panel lines as well as rust, the second for lighten the camouflage colors and the third for leaks, often in conjunction with the first as well for highlighting of all moving parts of the aircraft, such as slats, flaps, tail rudder etc.

Selter
The same of course are used accordingly and all around the diorama for the soil, the shelter and of course for the vehicles and figures. As you can see in the photos, after painting the figures and when they dried out, they received
a wash to highlight their details – especially the ones of the face. Of course I did an extensive dry brushing, mainly on the shelter to highlight its concrete texture. Before that, the whole shelter was engraved, after I painted it with horizontal and vertical lines in order to reproduce the concrete mold, the known lines we see in all large concrete structures.
This was done after its painting in order to show the color of the cardboard, which relates better to the color of concrete in this scale. Finally, it should be noted that I did build the shelter many years ago and after studying
satellite photo-graphs, I corrected the color and shape of the apron in front of it. In conclusion, the greatest difficulty was to find details on those shelter doors.
Unfortunately, as I don’t have any contact with airports etc, what I could find from the internet and with a little imagination was enough to set the whole scene. Everything was painted with a brush as I do not have an airbrush.
I hope you like it.

By Phillip Anagnostopoulos
Translation George Roumbos

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *