Range Rover

Range RoverThe Range Rover is a British luxury 4×4 car manufactured since 1970 and is currently in its fourth generation.The kit by Revell represents the five-door version of the first generation of the Range Rover and consists of about 100 plastic pieces of good quality. It comes with no engine, but has a quite detailed chassis and suspension and a very real looking interior.

I started work on the chassis, where I had to use filler and do some sanding in order to make all the imperfections of the mold to disappear Next up was the vehicles’ body, which I sanded with 500 grid sandpaper, washed it and applied a coat of Humbrol #1 enamel Gray primer. After that, I sanded it again, this time with 2000 grid sandpaper from Tamiya and coated it with Humbrol enamel White #34 as a second coat of primer. Afterwards, following another sanding with 2000 grid sandpaper in order to smoother the surface as much as possible, I painted it with Rosso Fiorano by Zero Paints from their Ferrari color series. The color revealed some imperfections so I had to sand it again with 1500 and 2000 grid sandpapers re-prime it with Humbrol #34 enamel White and repaint it. Finally, I applied a coat of Gunze B-513 enamel varnish and put it aside to dry in order to be re-sanded with 2000 grid sandpaper and re-polished.

Range Rover Range Rover Range Rover Range Rover

Then I prepared the underside of the vehicle with the same procedure followed for the body.
After the first coat of varnish was dry, I sanded it with 2000 grid sandpaper and the outcome is evident in the 2 following photos. I continued with two more coats of Gunze B-513 enamel varnish, which comes in a spray can but I transferred it to a small bottle. The result of this
phase of the works was that: The final stage of work on the bodywork was done a few days latter using 6000 to 12000 grid micromesh sanding pads and Tamiya pastes. I initially painted the chassis with Humbrol #1 enamel Gray primer and after that I applied a coat of Tamiya XF-85 acrylic Rubber Black.
I masked of some parts of the engine and painted them with Alclad White Aluminum. After that, I mounted the suspensions and exhausts. I painted the exhausts with Alclad White Aluminum, did some burn marks with Liquid Bronze from Zero Paints, Burnt Iron and Hot Metal Violet, both from Alclad. At the end, I painted the disc brakes with Zero Paints Gloss Black over a coat of primer, followed by Alclad Stainless Steel. The brake calipers were painted with Gunze Tire Black.

In the interior, initially I sanded all parts and used filler where needed and applied a coat of Humbrol #1 Gray primer. For the interior color I chose the Gunze #311 acrylic. Afterwards, I made some extra small items such as an umbrella from thin styrene and wet handkerchief, some magazines, buckles for the seatbelts and a photoeched net to replace the one given by Revell at the luggage compartment which comes reposed. At the end I made a lap top from the notebook photoeched set Hobby Design. All these would put decorate the interior of the vehicle when finished. The most time consuming work involved the representation of the wooden surfaces in the interior of the Range Rover, replacing the Revell decals.
More specifically, after a coat of Humbrol #1 Gray primer, I masked all the surrounding surfaces which wouldn’t be painted like wood and the rest was sprayed with Gunze #318 acrylic Radome.

Range Rover Range Rover Range Rover Range Rover

The woods’ grains were made with Tamiya XF10 acrylic brown and the dry brush technique. After that, I applied two thin coats of Tamiya Clear Orange.
At the end, I applied a coat of Gunze B-513 enamel varnish and removed the masking tape. When everything was dry, I masked the rest of the dashboard. I painted the switches, and did some masking with stencils at the doors. Likewise, all the rest parts of the interiors were prepared. Next step in the construction of the interior was the flocking which was done, wherever necessary, with Ka Models Cream White. I gave the parts two coats of flocking1 over deluded wood glue with a time difference of about 24 hours between the coats. After that I started with the assembly of all the parts of the interior.
Next step was the body of the car. I masked off the window frames and painted them with Tamiya Rubber Black, se signal indicators with Clear Orange over Alclad White Aluminum and the side protective stripes again with Tamiya Rubber Black. I finished with painted the chromes with Alclad Chrome.

Range Rover Range Rover Range Rover Range Rover

Range Rover Range Rover Range Rover Range Rover

Range Rover Range Rover Range Rover Range Rover

The wheel rims were prepared with an initial cote of Humbrol #1 Gray primer, followed by Alclad Duralumin and their centre with Testors Titanium.
I then glued the body to the chassis and painted the sunroof Tamiya TS71 Smoke, the mudguards Gunze Tire black and glued the windows, the lights, the windscreen wipers and some other details to the body.
Finally, the body and the chassis became one and here is the result.

1* You can find more details of this technique here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flocking_(texture)

Range Rover

Construction, text, photographs : Andreas Rousounelis 16
Translated by George Roumbos

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *