We are going to construct one of the most beautiful USAF’s F-104C, 436 FTS, 479 TFW as it flew from the base in California in 1959.
In this case, we are dealing with an honest and inexpensive kit. The lines are engraved on all pieces, the canopy comes in one-piece and we have an amazing decal card for 3 versions of aircraft.
Before the construction begins, it was decided to add detail inside the cockpit and have an open canopy. We added the side consoles, while we cut the canopy into three pieces and scratch built the mirrors, the canopy frame studs and the safety lock calipers.
Next in line was the radar cone and the radar itself. We cut the cone and we started to scratch built it. The materials we used were plastic sheet and beams, as well as copper wire.
The big bet was cutting the aircraft in two, as well as the construction of the engine. Once the necessary measurements were made, the construction started. For the engine, two multiple rocket launchers were joined after having measured in length and diameter and details from sheet of plastic and copper wire for the wiring were added.
The engine was placed inside the fuselage and after fitting it, the trolley that carries the engine, the radar base and the rear part of the fuselage was constructed. The latter was internally reinforced by building the inner skeleton and its rails.
Finally, the electronics bay behind the cockpit was also built. After being cut, the electronics boxes were made out of plastic sheet.
After the kit was primed we started spray painted it. The radar cone was painted with Humbrol satin 130. The rest of the aircraft was initially painted with the Humbrol satin 85, which will later help with the highlighting.
After the kit had thoroughly dry, it was painted with Humbrol 27002 in combination with MET 56 of the same company at about 80/20. Their dissolution is about 1/1.
The panels at the back of the fuselage were also painted with Model Master acrylics, 4679 and 4671 in a 70/30 ratio. The panels of the vertical stabilizer were painted with Humbrol’s 27003. The model was sprayed with Humbrol’s Gloss Varnish before placing the quality decals.
Hagiography powder was passed over and between the lines of the fuselage and we sprayed again with Gloss varnish.
The base of the accessories was painted with Model Master acrylic lacquer 4851.
The result of the construction proved to me that with an inexpensive kit and a lot of attitude the result is always rewarding!
Text – construction: Panagiotis Kavvadas
Translation: Konstantinos Nikas.