SAS Jeep, Tamiya
LRDG 30cwt Chevrolet Truck, Tamiya
Warriors Sas Jeep Crew (resin)
Camel and Beduin, Verlinden
Lrdg in N. Africa, Masterbox
The Germans are scratch built from parts of old tamiya kits that I have in the sparebox for a long time, if I remember well at least one of them is from a classic tamiya kit of the German anti-tank gun of WWII.
Some conversions were made to the figures with milliput putty.
I used Vallejo colors for brush and gunze / tamiya for airbrush. Oils and varnishes from windsor & newton.
The base was made from wood, building foam, clay, sand for aquarium and a lot of white cement for wood.
We start with the most important thing in a diorama by sticking and posing our figures, to form a picture in our minds of how they will “stand” on stage.
After a short study, and priming with Motip, the jeep was airbrush painted with steel and then olive drab. That was the way they painted the real willys jeep in North Africa. We sprayed different tones of dark sand and as long as the color was fresh we chipp it with a toothpick. I scratch built the bases for the fuel cans, a variation net, the base for the 0.50cal came from my spare box and add some aluminum straps (from a coffee pack) for the hanging bags.
All the figures were painted with red and then with a white primer to see the shadows and get an idea of the possible expressions that can be achieved. Then they were all painted with a brush and diluted Vallejo colour in 3-4 coats. While some shades were created with acrylics, extra shading was achieved with windsor and newton oils. Highlights were done with acrylics by painting or dry brushing. The eyes of the figures were painted with unsaturated oils with 3/0 brush.
The first vehicle is almost ready. The only way to get the figures to sit on the two vehicles is to glue the steering wheel to the figures, paint them all separately and then put them in the driver’s seat. We are always talking about the authentic crews that tamiya gives in the two kits.
For our convenience, the Chevrolet was painted in 3 pieces.
A camo net was made from gauze and the kit’s rubber tires were replaced by replicas made with milliput putty and using blue stuff for molding.
The base was literally made of fallen building materials from a construction site near our neighborhood. I made something like a drawer from plywood and filled it with foam and a building block which was used for the basic shape of the dunes. The final shape was made from clay and a lot of white wood cement and sprinkling aquarium sand, the thinest I could find. The base was spry painted using tamiya acrylics. I used clay to homogenize the parts of the diorama that contained trees, roots and ground. The trees and roots came from a forest in the area.
I also use chains from rb models, 0.50 cal ammo belts from eduard, 0.50 cal spent cartridges from rb models and fine and heavy rope from lz models.
Built – text: Nikos Markou
Translation: Konstantinos Nikas